Wednesday 18 April 2012

As We Move Into the Warmer Months: Dressing Like Kate in the Spring and the Summer

As we move into the warmer months of Spring and Summer I always have the same dilemma, what did I wear last year at this time??? I always find myself quite disheartened thinking about bearing my arms and my legs and fitting into my tops and shorts. Lets just say when this time of year rolls around I realize how much I love being covered up in my sweaters and jeans, which don't require me having a tan or one single toned muscle to look half decent!

However, I take comfort in the fact that not only will I eventually overcome this annual Springtime shock, but I can also look to the timeless looks of Kate Middleton's past for inspiration!

Here are some of the pictures I'm referring to:






Choose effortless options, that are classic and will see you through many Springs and Summers. Now, most of these options show Kate in jeans or other pants, which some people may wear instead of summer. However, you could opt for shorts with most of these kind of sillouhettes on top as well, or with similar short-sleeved options. But, never let your shorts get too short. They don't have to be down to the knee, or even mid-thigh (although those can be cute sometimes), but they should never be bunching as a result of being too short or too tight. Find a flattering length that works for your weight and height and you will look slimmer and be spot on with following Kate's looks.

The key with Kate, as I've always observed and said, is that she picks timeless pieces that aren't too fussy. She doesn't look like she's walking down a runway and she never looks too trendy and never imodest. She just dresses like a regualr person and looks, in her own way, stylish.

Know what works best for you and your body type and own it! Don't feel the need to give into passing trends but be yourself and you will look and feel great! Kate could wear anything, given her body type, but she chooses to look classy and elegant in classic pieces year-round.

Find a good pair of jeans, at least on in denim, and maybe invest in some white pants as well - although I find them hard to wear because you couldn't wear them all of the time, or too often without people noticing. So maybe a pair of light grey or black pants, which are out this season, would be another option, and they might be more versatile too. You can get the jeans below from GAP for $69.99 CDN.


Next, go to H&M, or any other store (like GAP) where you can find simple pieces at a great price. I was just in there and I found a somewhat loose, without being unflattering, top that would be great, and mimick some of Kate's looks above. A top like this will be great to throw on, day or night, and will be warm enough in the spring and cool enough (sometimes) in the summer. Also, pairing sleevless or t-shirts with cardigans is also a very versatile way to make sure you're classic and comfortable no matter what the weather. The top below comes in different colours, like soft peach etc. This product is only $19.99 CDN.

 I also like some of these other options, from both H&M and GAP:


Above: top by H&M. Below: tops by GAP




 With a few of these simple and pretty items you'll be ready to go! Also, check out some effortless skirts, to pair with these or other items, and dresses to throw on as well. The items below are from GAP.



The last thing you need would be shoes. Find a great pair of basic flats, maybe in black or another neutral, nudes seem to be really big right now and out everywhere. You will also need a wedge.

Check out your local shoe stores for options.

Happy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment